Did you know that motorcycle insurance is separate from your auto policy? Unless you have specifically added your motorcycle to your auto insurance policy, your policy does not cover you on while riding your motorcycle.
With daylight savings time just around the corner, more individuals will be hopping on their bikes to enjoy a ride in the spring air. If you own a motorcycle, we want to make sure you are fully protected.
Understanding Motorcycle Coverage
The major elements of motorcycle insurance are very similar to auto insurance:
- Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability – covers you if you are at-fault for an accident that injures another person or damages their property.
- Comprehensive and Collision – covers your motorcycle if it is damaged in an accident or stolen.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage – covers you and your property if the person who hits you does not have any or enough insurance coverage.
- Personal Injury Protection or Medical Payment Coverage – covers your medical bills when you are injured in an accident in which you were at-fault.
However, with motorcycle insurance, there are other elements that you should take into consideration.
- Guest Passenger Liability – some motorcycle policies do not automatically cover passengers and require you to add guest passenger coverage.
- Custom Parts and Equipment – many motorcycle owners enjoy customizing their bikes with aftermarket parts and equipment. These non-OEM parts are generally not covered by your basic comprehensive and collision coverage, and require custom parts and equipment coverage.
- Roadside Assistance – having your motorcycle break down during a ride can be a costly experience. Reduce the cost by adding roadside assistance coverage to your policy.
Finding the Right Coverage For You
Insurance can be complicated. At BenefitSource, we specialize in evaluating your needs and working within your budget to get you the coverage that is best for you. Even more importantly, we make sure you understand your policy. Call us directly at (877) 215-5431 or email us to set up an appointment to discuss the best type of coverage for your motorcycle.
For more insurance tips and information, follow us on Facebook!