As the telltale signs of spring begin to bloom, many take the time to clean out the closets and the garage in preparation for the warmer weather. At BenefitSource, we recognize that there are some very important and often overlooked steps that should be taken during your spring cleaning to ensure the safety of your home and your family.
Spring Cleaning Safety Checklist
While insurance is an essential part of protecting your family and assets, no one wants to have to make an insurance claim. This checklist can help you keep your home, family, and guests safe.
Inside the Home
- Check the battery on smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Inspect the pressure and look for any visible damage on your fire extinguishers.
- Talk to your family about what to do in case of a fire and how to use the fire extinguisher.
- Make sure there are no flammable materials near furnaces or the water heater.
- Prevent scalding by checking that your water heater is set no higher than 120 degrees.
- Install surge protectors for all of your electrical equipment and appliances.
- Have your air conditioning unit inspected by a professional.
- If you have small children in the house, check your child safety devices to make sure each is still working properly.
Outside the Home:
- Check your deck for loose boards or termite damage, so no one falls through any damaged wood.
- Ensure all railings on decks and stairways are secure. Additionally, if you will have any children on the property, make sure the deck posts are less than 4 inches apart to prevent children from slipping through.
- Look for loose siding that may get dislodged during high winds and cause a safety hazard.
- Inspect the safety features surrounding your pool, including the safety gate surrounding the area.
- Inspect any propane tanks and propane lines on your outdoor grill.
- Test the garage door opener to make sure the automatic reversing feature and sensors are working properly.
- Clear away debris or dead trees and plants to reduce the risk of fire.
- If you have pets that spend time outdoors in the warm weather, look to see if there are any weak spots in the fence, runs, or other outdoor enclosures.
Spring Cleaning For Your Insurance Policies
It is common to purchase an insurance policy, and then never think about it again. However, as your lifestyle changes, your insurance policy should, too. Let your BenefitSource insurance professional help you with a little spring cleaning on your policies. We specialize in evaluating your individual needs and any changes that may have happened over the past year to ensure you have the right amount of coverage at the best price. Call us directly at (877) 215-5431 or email us to set up your spring cleaning appointment.
For more insurance tips and information, follow us on Facebook!